Monday, March 25, 2013

Not What I Wanted to Hear

I have had a little white spot on my nose for about 6+ months now.    Didn't hurt, didn't itch, didn't bleed, didn't grow...it was just there.  Last Thursday I finally went in to see a dermatologist to get it checked out, just to put my mind at ease that it was NOT cancer.  The dermatologist took a look at it and said that she could not guarantee that it was not cancer so they would need to do a biopsy to be sure.  She said the results would be back within 7-10 days.

This morning I got a call from her letting me know that it is indeed Basal-Cell Carcinoma.  Not what I wanted to hear!   I know that it is a very common, curable type of cancer, but I will admit, I am still a bit freaked out by it.  Although I felt in my heart it would be, I really did not want it to be cancer...of any form!   

So, I guess they will be doing some type of procedure called Mohs surgery or something like that where they will go in, numb my nose, take a bit of it, and check it for cancer while I wait.  They will repeat the process until the sample is clear of cancer and then stitch up my nose and I will be on my way.  Doesn't sound fun at all, but I guess that at least I will know I am cancer free when I leave the center.  I've never been particularly fond of my nose, but I would really prefer to leave it just the way that it is.  The dermatologist assured me that the surgeon/pathologist who will be doing the procedure is also a plastic surgeon and will "take good care of my nose".  Nice to know.



My little white carcinoma spot


3 comments:

laurie said...

I had that on my cheek. Still have the spot to prove it. It's not a big deal, but yet.. it IS. Sorry :(

Katy said...

It's still a very scary thought no matter how common it is. I hope the surgery goes well and it will take care of it completely. I am so sorry though.

Debbie said...

What! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes smoothly.